Wednesday, July 22, 2009

San Francisco, CA



Bike across the country - check! We finished it off today with a short 39 mile ride. The route was actually more rural than expected if you ignore the fact that it paralleled I-80 for awhile. There was even a final climb of about 400' over the last ridge line before Vallejo on San Pablo Bay. The weather was sunny inland but cool with a brisk 20mph wind off the Pacific. I think it was actually the strongest true headwind of the entire trip so we were fortunate in the wind department. From there it was an hour ferry ride to the San Francisco Ferry terminal, and a six mile ride along The Embarcadero to Marina Drive to Fort Point at the Golden Gate Bridge and the end of the ride.



For those who like to keep numbers like me, here are a few trip numbers; 3834 miles, 60 elapsed days, 52 riding days (4 rest days, 4 schedule adjustment days), 74 mile per day average, 40 mph fastest descent speed.

I will need more time to reflect on the trip but I can say there is no better way to experience the magnitude and diversity of the country than at bicycle speed. I highly recommend it to anyone. There were certainly some challenging and trying moments but overall the ride went very well from all aspects. As I have written before, going east to west through the middle of the country has proven to be a good decision, and riding supported is a great advantage that made the ride that much more enjoyable. We appreciate all of the positive comments about the photographs and we will work on sharing more and our stories when we return to Rochester.



I would like to thank Sally my partner and SAG driver for all of her help and support, it was a team effort all of the way. And we are still on speaking terms. Thanks to our daughter Elizabeth for getting us started on the right foot with the jerseys and making the effort to meet us at the end of the ride today. And thanks to all of you who followed the blog, made comments, and helped us celebrate our anniversary, with special thanks to those who contributed to Journeys of Solutions in support of the ride.












7 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! YOU DID IT!! Bob, you are amazing! Sally you are the best! I'm so glad I got to follow your bike ride...60 days and only 4 rest days - WOW!! I am going to miss reading the blog every day...it's how I have been starting my morning for two months :-( I guess I'll just wait for the next adventure!

    I hope you guys have a nice RESTFUL August (yeah right!) what is the next adventure?

    -- Kim Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic!! Congratulations! It's been great to share your adventure vicariously - thanks for letting us all take the ride with you! I agree with Kim - I'm going to miss my daily blog-check. =) Enjoy SF, and your trip home. Which route will you take East? Congratulations again!!!!

    - Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and job well done! I, too, will miss my daily blog check, but look forward to the Rochester "show & tell".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on in incredible accomplishment! It's been an absolute pleasure following along on this blog. You've done a fantastic job with the descriptions, pictures and comments along the way. Look forward to seeing you when you get back. All of the JOS team is very proud of you.

    By the way, Linda and her crew are about half way around Lake Huron as of today on their quest to bike around yet another Great Lake. You bikers are all nuts!

    Congrats, again and enjoy the ride back.

    Paul Artruc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Bob! What an accomplishment!Thank you for sharing your journey - I have enjoyed following both your & Sally's adventures.
    -Debbie Eckerson (Chris's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to both of you! What an accomplishment! We can hardly wait to see you when you get back to Rochester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did it! Congrrtulations. Are you going to keep us up on your return trip?
    S

    ReplyDelete