Monday, June 1, 2009

Stone Coal Baptist Church



Stone Coal Baptist Church was the end of the ride today after 75 miles. The church is essentially at the top of a long hill in the middle of a long stretch between towns in Daniel Boone National Forest. Let's just say I was ready to end the day. We ended up driving about 20 miles to Irvine, KY for the overnight and a rest day tomorrow. So day after tomorrow we will return to the church to resume the ride where we left off.

The route today started off on quiet country roads but then things became more hectic. The route followed two major highways with heavy traffic for about 10 miles around Hazard. There were shoulders but they were filled with those tiny stones that can cause flats and crossed by @#$% rumble strips. Since this was now the work week, the 18 wheel coal trucks were also out in full force until I went far enough west to get beyond most of them. Towards the end of the day it was back to quiet back roads through the forest.



Sally visited Buckhorn State Resort Park on Buckhorn Lake to do some hiking before meeting me down the road at Booneville at about 59 miles into the ride. She commented on how nice the daisies look right now along the road side. Can't say I noticed but I did almost run over a live black snake crossing the road. I stopped at the Buckhorn general store for drinks. It was one of those throw back stores and the proprietor keeps a log of riders that I signed. I learned that I am about two days behind two other Trans Am riders.


A footnote to yesterday's post - our waiter in Hazard expressed interest in the ride and is now following the blog. Check out his comment on yesterday's post.

3 comments:

  1. That picture of the general store is timeless - so great! Enjoy your day of rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I agree - that picture looks like something out of an old movie! Oh I love little towns!! :-)

    Glad to hear you are taking a rest day, Bob!

    Hi Sally! :-)

    - Kim Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob - Saw the article in the Post, and came to check out your trip. Travel safely!

    Julie G.

    ReplyDelete