Sunday, June 14, 2009

Toronto, KS



Yes, there is a Toronto, KS. I assure you it looks nothing like the Toronto across the lake from our house. In fact, there is a large reservoir and dam on the Verdigris River, in the beginning of the Flint Hills. With the benefit of a tail wind again, we were able to cover 85 miles. With the exception of a brief shower the weather was good so our luck of avoiding stormy weather fortunately continues. I met up with the first east bound riders I have seen. They are doing the full Trans Am route, Astoria, OR to Yorktown. At the farm road where we had lunch we noted the limestone fence posts typical to the area (see picture above). They had more limestone then timber to make fences. Since today is Sunday, traffic is very light on some of the roads. There were times when I probably rode for 30 minutes without seeing a car in either direction. So all in all a quiet day of bicycle travel.
PS Sally: Ida: nice to hear our biker ladies are gathering, right on schedule. I hope the weather cooperates at least as much for you, as us. I'm going to miss your famous spaghetti, and hope to hear about others' special dishes.


2 comments:

  1. Sally -- beautiful 31.5 mile ride today along lake shore and through farm country. It is lovely here. Linda King on KP duty tonight doing grilled salmon with Pistachio Butter -- yum! I was on for pancake breakfast. Karen doing Tex-Mex tomorrow. Rene arrives tomorrow afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bob and Sally

    I am really enjoying reading your blogs - congratulations on your progres. The scenery in Missouri looked great. Like you, Sally, I am nostalgic to not be at Door County, but there will be other times to meet up. The photo of the nine biker chicks (plus Rene to come) was a real tonic and reminds me of the so special experiences we have shared. All the best for the rest of your adventure from Lesley (Sydney, Australia).

    ReplyDelete