Monday, May 25, 2009

Charlottesville


After a good night's sleep I started riding at around 7:30. The route today continued on back roads through central Virginia ending in Charlottesville after 62 miles. For the first time there were more interesting hills as an appetizer for the bigger climbs to come. I came across my first self supported bike tourist heading in the opposite direction at a road junction. He is on his way to Maine from San Diego. I think he kind of looked down his nose at me on my light weight road bike, or maybe it was envy. This meeting happened in the town of Palmyra that happened to be a meeting spot with Sally. While we were there a couple of other cyclists showed up heading in the same direction as we were. They were two college professors on a three day credit card trip from Richmond to Lexington. We hooked up for the final 20 miles into Charlottesville. Once in Charlottesville I managed to miss another turn and rode through the Main St pedestrian mall that I was later informed that I could have been ticketed for. Tonight we are staying with Margaret and Howard. Margaret was a rider on the cross country trip that Sally went on in 2006. They live near the U of VA campus so we had a nice tour of campus and a great meal. This will the last night of lodging with friends for quite a few days.

1 comment:

  1. Bob and Sally,
    Glad to hear you are off to a good start! Safe travels!
    -Linda Artruc

    ReplyDelete