Thursday, May 28, 2009

Wytheville



Today's ride ended in Wytheville after 68 hilly miles. I started riding about 12 miles north of last night's town where we had left off yesterday. Within five miles there was a 500' climb that set the precedent for the day. With the exception of a few river valleys the route went up big hills and down big hills (200-300'). There was lots of gravel on the roads from yesterday's rain. I now can appreciate the statement that Virginia has the most aggregate elevation gain for any state on the entire trip route. With the exception of a couple of showers the weather was good, with some sunny breaks in the afternoon. Kim and Liz, I am working on my tan, and you? The country side is a combination of woods and farm pastures with views of the mountains in the distance.



Our days have settled into a routine of sorts. Up at six, breakfast, and then on the road by seven or so. We pick a location 25-30 miles down the road for a first meeting, and then another at around 50 miles for lunch from the back of the truck. We are finishing in early afternoon. Today the meeting place was the junction of RT 11 and 52 in Wytheville. Wasn't so obvious where that was as it turned out. So I had to do a little circling around until I spotted the truck. But no Sally. I packed the bike and still no Sally. I walked up the street, and still no Sally. But wait, here she comes with a bag. She had been shopping for ... yarn. I know Marji will relate. Anyway, we find an inexpensive motel (no camping yet), get dinner, blog, and get ready to repeat tomorrow. Tonight we went upscale for dinner, the 1776 Log House Restaurant. It was good, on the other hand by the end of the day I will eat anything.


5 comments:

  1. Yarn? and sun? Nice to see the 1776 Log House survived the Civil War. How are the legs doing?
    SandyL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for asking about my tan Dad. Unfortunately, some of us need to bring home the bacon, so we don't get to spend all day every day outside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, you will definitely be more tan than me...but does it count when it's only from the knee and elbow down? :-)

    p.s. if someone can help me figure out how to comment using Yahoo, which is how I'm signed in, I wouldn't feel so dumb being "Anonymous" all the time! - Kim Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, hilarious - when I left that comment my "word" that I had to put in to leave a comment was "TANNEST"!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go, Sally, Go! I think a yarn portfolio to document your way across the country is an excellent idea!

    Bob, your article was in today's Greece Post~on the front page!! I couldn't find it on the web edition, but will save this copy for you.

    ReplyDelete